Owl Image

Have mitral valve prolapse and erectile dysfunction problem. Are they related?

Owl Image
Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Question
Hello Sir, I have been diagnosed with Mitral valve prolapse. Also, some times i feel difficult to sustain an erection while having intercourse. Kindly shed some light on the following queries:

1. Is Erectile Dysfunction due to Mitral Valve prolapse?
2. Can Viagra be taken in this heart condition to cure ED?

Please give me complete information so that i can take an informed decision further.

Thanks.
Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Erectile Dysfunction

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX,
You have been diagnosed to have Mitral Valve prolapse and you are facing a problem of sustaining erection during intercourse.
Your erectile problem is not related to Mitral valve prolapse and could be due to anxiety.
Do you have any symptoms due to mitral valve prolapse especially breathlessness on exertion.?
Are you taking any drugs that contain Nitrates for mitral valve prolapse.?
As regards taking Viagra for erection, there is no harm in taking it provided you are not taking any drugs that contain Nitrates.
Please consult your Physician before you plan to start taking it.
Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions.
I shall be pleased to address the same .Thanks with Regards.
Dr.Patil

Follow-up: Have mitral valve prolapse and erectile dysfunction problem. Are they related? 1 hour later
Hello Sir, Thanks for replying.
please find my response below:

Do you have any symptoms due to mitral valve prolapse especially breathlessness on exertion.? ........... NO

Are you taking any drugs that contain Nitrates for mitral valve prolapse.?......Not taking any drugs for MVPP.

Follow up questions:
1. What are the possible affects of MVPP on ones sex life?
2. Is it possible to treat ED and lead a normal sex life?

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 6 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back. Here are my answers.

1) What are possible effects of MVPP on ones sex life?
There are no effects what so ever nature of MVPP on sexual life.
2) Is it possible to treat ED and lead normal sex life?
Yes, you can lead your normal sex life.Since you are getting hard erection and your only problem is to sustain it for a long time ,it will get cured over a period of time and you may not need to take any drugs forever.
Hope I have answered your queries.Please feel free to ask if you have any more queries.
Thanks with Regards.
Dr.Patil.