Have minor broken teeth. Had dental filling long back. Need of root canal treatment?

Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain

Dentist, Prosthodontics

Posted on Fri, 18 Jan 2013 in Dental Health
Question: I have a Dental filling which is 18 yrs old and a minor edge is broken of that. I went to doctor and for x-ray, he was ready to remove the fill and he suggested me he could not not say anything without removing the fill what needs to be done ? He was confused about the action whether we need refill or Root Canal/Pluck the tooth. As I am bit scared about the Injection for numb, so I dint let him do that. Please suugest me by viewing this image whether refill can be done or not ? Will it require the ijection for numb to get the fill out. Please suggest, I am very scared
Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 2 hours later

Ideally after seeing the x-ray we can reach a diagnosis and decide the treatment plan. I tried opening your attachments but it shows as an error, so I am not able to see the X-rays.

Even if you take an injection, I would like to reassure you that it does not hurt much as the needles are very thin and the procedure is almost painless.

If you can reattach the X-rays, then I can help you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 1 hour later

Thanks for the reply. I have again attached those, hopefully you wud be able to see those.

I am very scared of injection and heard its the most painful injection.Do you apply any tropical anaesthestics on the gum before the process
Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 45 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

After seeing your x-rays I feel that the tooth will have to undergo a root canal treatment. I would like to inform you that nowadays single sitting root canal treatments are available and the pain levels are barely minimal.

Yes, in our clinic we do apply a topical anesthetic and the process of injecting is not very painful. An endodontist does single sitting root canals with zero complications with patients being extremely comfortable.

Hope this answers your query. Do let me know if you have more concerns.

Follow up: Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 3 hours later
Is there no possibility for re filling the tooth ? Touch wood, I am not feeling any discomfort till now, but really scared of injection.
How long the single sitting root canal ?
How effective the tropical medicine ? after root canal wud there be any pain ?
whats the cost of the single day root canal

The dentist may remove the filling and then decide but seeing the X-ray it seems that it will go for a root canal.
The injections do not cause much discomfort anymore so do not worry.
Topical analgesia is quite effective so you do not feel the prick.
You would not experience pain after Root canal therapy as you will be put under pain medication.
The costs vary for single time root canal from 3000-6000 INR.

Hope you feel better soon.