Have mild fever, vomiting and loose motions. Not cured by medicine. Alternate medication?

Dr. Hema Yadav

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases

Posted on Sat, 22 Dec 2012 in Infections
Question: my daughter is having infection with mild fever, vomiting and loose motions (with huge stink) for last 2 days
has been taking below medicines (prescribed by Doctor) for 24hrs but no relief feeling weakness pls guide
have stopped giving milk so pls suggest alternative food as well
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Hello ,
Considering the details you have provided your child is most probably suffering from infection causing gastroenteritis either viral or bacterial ( if gross blood present in stools it is dysentery ) .
First and foremost you have to maintain her hydration by giving her
Frequent sips of WHO recommended ORS solution or any other home available fluids ( rice kangi , soups , juices etc) .
Apart from that the treatment given is appropriate . However for faster relief I would also recommend starting a zinc supplement( like syrup Zinconia or mintonia etc twice daily ie 20 mg / day ) .
For an alternative to cows / buffalo milk you can give her soy milk powders ( like nusobee soy milk powder , enfamil soy formula etc ).
However if her condition doesn't improve at all after three days of starting treatment I would recommend you get a stool routine and culture test done to confirm the causative bacteria and most suitable treatment . Such a test can guide as to wether a change of antibiotic is needed ( like from Zenflox plus to Colistin or cefpodoxime) .
However in case of viral infections the symptoms are self resolving within a week irrespective of the antibiotic treatment .
More important is to maintain her hydration and nutrition till her body fights away the infection. So do give her plenty of oral rehydration throughout the day (as sips, not large quantity at once ) and zinc and bcomplex supplements ( as already advised ) and she should recover within a week.

Hope that answers your query.
I'll be available for any follow up query.