Have mild fever, nausea and lower abdominal pain. Am I having appendix problem?

Dr. Charles S Narasi

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: temp 96.6 pain in right lower abdomen under ribs , wax and waning in severity - pressure and nasuea - I have no gallblader it was removed after XXXXXXX 131- thyroidectomy, Colonoscopy aborted three months ago because I awoke during proceedure, they were only able to see into the first part of colon and saw a possible polyp in the second stage of the scope , but the pain from the air , was excruciating and I woke up - either way I am having pain again in my right side uder the rib---- and back area. could this be apendix, physian askedmeif it had been taken out at outlast visit last month.

FYI liver hemetoma was found but hasnt grown.
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 1 hour later
Hello, XXXXXXX,
I am glad that you a survivor of Thyroid cancer.
You mentioned about colon polyps found in 1997
and I am sure this recent colonoscopy was a followup
exam. I am sorry to hear that they could not sedate
you properly for the exam. With proper sedation you
should have a complete examination. Since you have
had your gallbladder removed four years ago, it is not
likely that you would experience problem related to that
surgery. Occasionally, adhesions around that area can
cause intermittent pain, almost like a pinched nerve kind.
If you had a retained stone in the bile duct, you would
have more symptoms like nausea,vomiting,fever,chills
and yellow jaundice. Acute appendicitis gives you severe
right lower quadrant abdominal pain, nausea,vomiting
along with fever. Blood count would show elevated white
blood cells and pressing on that spot would give you severe
pain, what we call "Rebound tenderness".
If you are having problem with constipation, you could have
trapped gas in the part of the colon that is under the right
rib cage called the "Hepatic Flexure" or the bend.
I am concerned about the incomplete colonoscopy.
I would urge you to get another appointment with
the gastroenterologist or a colo-rectal surgeon to have
the examination properly done.If you explain your situation
I am sure appropriate sedation under supervision can be
used to fully examine and remove any polyps.
I wish you well.