Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Have mild concussion. Had hit above eyebrow. Eye is swollen and have bruise with pain. Advil didn't help. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 6182 Questions
I am afraid I may have a mild concussion. I tripped and hit my head above my right eyebrow and landed on the floor after hitting my dresser. My eye is swollen and I have a large bruise above my eyebrow and the pain is becoming ridiculous. Advil or common meds won't help. I feel like laying down all the time and I'm not sure what to do. I tried to go to a walk in clinic, but could not get there in time. I thought the pain would subside. I will send a picture if necessary.
Posted Sun, 4 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Thank you so much for this opportunity to address your health query today.I am so sorry to hear about this fall and the severe pains and swelling you are experiencing. I will like us to revisit this problem and together map a way forward.

The most common symptoms after a concussive traumatic brain injury are headache, amnesia and confusion. The amnesia, which may or may not be preceded by a loss of consciousness, almost always involves the loss of memory of the impact that caused the concussion. From your symptoms, you may at minimum have some subtle symptoms but not typical or red flags for an urgently concerning traumatic brain injury.

The bruises, swelling are responsible for the pain symptoms you are actually feeling and I think they are not really caused by a brain concussion. At times, common medications may not relief all pains especially severe pains. Severe pains are actually being treated with more powerful medications like tramadol, morphine, etc. However, you may want to add second pain drug like combining advil/tylenol, or ibuprofen/tylenol for a ore pain relieving action. This should help alongside some rest, cold compress to the swollen area while you make time and see your doctor.

However, you should seek immediate medical attention if you develop vomiting, difficulties in balance, seizures, progressively worsening general state or sleeping more than usual. If you do not have any of these, the general recommendation is to visit your doctor within 48hours for a more detailed examination and to make sure all is well before we quickly and falsely conclude as such if not the case.

For now, watch out for the red flags, if you have any, please go to the ER now. If you don't have any, try the above measures to relief your pains and see your doctor within 48hours. If for any reasons you feel like making an urgent visit, please do. It is more comforting to go in even if there is nothing than not going in with something.

Please. always try to prevent falls by watching your steps, putting things away from passages, avoid XXXXXXX objects in sight, always use hand rails when available, avoiding wet floors, etc.

I hope this answers your question and enough information for you to make informed decisions. If you have some more questions, please, address them and I will be very happy to address them.
I wish you the very best of outcomes from this fall.
Dr. Ditah, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
,   ,  

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor