Have mild HBP. Sweating after eating sugary food or drinking alcohol. What is going on?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Since the age of 64 I have started sweating after eating anything sugary or if I have an alcoholic drink and wish to know why? I did have 5 years of sweating if I ate or drank the above whilst I was on Tamoxifen for a ductal breast tumour which was removed, but have finished the course 12 months ago. The ductal breast cancer was diagnosed at age 60 and I only needed radiotherapy as no spread. I am overweight but very active. I have mild high blood pressure, which is treated by Moduret
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Sweating after eating usually happens to people who have eaten sugary or energy giving foods. This is mainly due to the heat that is generated by the body's reaction to the food. This condition is called gustatory hyperhidrosis and is an involuntary response to sugary or energy giving foods. It is the over stimulation of our nervous system. It is a natural response that will and can happen to everybody. Some cases of sweating after eating are different from this natural response. Just eating normal food can trigger sweating. This is not a worrisome problem and is a normal physiological response.
If the sweating is excessive and troublesome then diabetes and hyperthyroidism needs to be ruled out under the guidance of your physician.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.