Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Have mild HBP. Sweating after eating sugary food or drinking alcohol. What is going on?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12750 Questions
Since the age of 64 I have started sweating after eating anything sugary or if I have an alcoholic drink and wish to know why? I did have 5 years of sweating if I ate or drank the above whilst I was on Tamoxifen for a ductal breast tumour which was removed, but have finished the course 12 months ago. The ductal breast cancer was diagnosed at age 60 and I only needed radiotherapy as no spread. I am overweight but very active. I have mild high blood pressure, which is treated by Moduret
Posted Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Sweating after eating usually happens to people who have eaten sugary or energy giving foods. This is mainly due to the heat that is generated by the body's reaction to the food. This condition is called gustatory hyperhidrosis and is an involuntary response to sugary or energy giving foods. It is the over stimulation of our nervous system. It is a natural response that will and can happen to everybody. Some cases of sweating after eating are different from this natural response. Just eating normal food can trigger sweating. This is not a worrisome problem and is a normal physiological response.
If the sweating is excessive and troublesome then diabetes and hyperthyroidism needs to be ruled out under the guidance of your physician.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor