Have migraine and pain all over body. Diagnosed with arthritis in spine. Cause and cure?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 27 May 2013 in General Health
Question: my doc says I have arthritis in my spine.. what do you think? I have pain in my LEFT ear, shoulder, chest, side, neck ( sometimes swells) back and sometimes hip/ leg.. I also get tingling in my arm & face and I suffer from migraines. my pain is constant but sometimes worst than other times. all in my left side of my body. it hurts the most in my neck & shoulder
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
The symptoms that you have could be related to a muscular pain due to poor posture, disc prolapse or spondylosis. An MRI scan of the spine will help in detecting the exact diagnosis. Vitamin D 3 deficiency and electrolyte imbalance also needs to be ruled out.
The main treatment of such problem is bed rest along with pain killers and muscle relaxants. Muscle relaxants can help with your symptoms if used in appropriate dosage in combination with a potent analgesic. You can get these prescribed from your orthopedician.
Local analgesic gels and hot fomentation may provide a short term relief. You can use analgesic gels like Volini gel. Exercise is not advisable in the times of acute pain.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 13 hours later
I had an xray, that how my doc saw the arthritis, Is that different than a mri scan of the spine? also I am 50 lbs overweight , if I lost weight would that help?
finally should I tell my doc to check for Vitamin D 3 deficiency and electrolyte imbalance,disc prolapse or spondylosis ?
is spine arthritis the same as spondylosis.? if yes what is your recommendations?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
MRI scan is better than X-ray in detecting any nerve compression. Loosing weight will help your symptoms considerably.
Since X-ray report is suggestive of spondylosis (same as spine arthritis), further evaluation of electrolyte levels is not needed. You can go for vitamin D 3 estimation.
Get proper prescription for spondylosis from your orthopedician according to the severity of your symptoms.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.