Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
167 Doctors are Online

Have microvascular heart disease, reddened eyes, dribbling nose, lightheadedness, spastic cough. Can mold exposure cause arrythmia?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Cardiologist, Interventional
Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 192 Questions
I have been diagnosed with microvascular heart disease. It has been four years now since diagnosis. I have been exposed to mold at my store for the past 9 months. Did not clue in to my symptoms. My store is 600 square feet. Since November I have been experiencing reddened eyes during work,, dribbling nose. Druing the past several months I have experienced lightheadedness, SOB, occasional spastic cough and now have lost alot of energy (very tired). I often feel like I am not getting enough oxygen. I wil often take XXXXXXX breaths in. My heart (ppulse goes from steady pounding to unable to feel it at all. Sometimes it feels sporadic. My question to you. Can mold exposure cause me to have heart arrythmias. I have been experiencing these quite alot lately. I am now on a heart monitor for two weeks. Teh monitor is buzzing on a daily basis. I am upset with myself because I should of known something was wrong when I started having symptoms. Can you help me with this quesiton. Thank you for your time. XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Raja Sekhar Varma 5 hours later

Thank you for the query.

It appears as though you have an allergic reaction to the mould and possibly developed rhinitis and bronchitis. Ectopic heart beats, atrial arrhythmias and atrial fibrillation are known to occur as a result of these allergic problems.

A 12-lead ECG and a 24 hour Holter monitor will be required to diagnose the specific arrhythmia. The treatment of the arrhythmia will depend on the exact type.

You will also need to do some blood tests like blood counts, absolute eosinophil count, serum IgE levels, Chest X-ray, lung function tests, etc. to complete the investigations.

Your pulmonologist or an allergy specialist will be able to advise you on the exact nature of the treatment and the drug dosages needed. Avoidance of mould exposure is logical. There may be a possibility of desensitizing you to the allergy.

If you can upload a scanned copy of the ECG or the Holter report, I can interpret and analyze the findings for you.

I hope this answers your query. Feel free to contact me for any further clarifications.

With regards,
Dr RS Varma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor