Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Have lump on right side of ribcage. Soft and moves when touched. Should I be concerned?

Apr 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 9351 Questions
I have a lump on the right side of my rib cage. It's been there for a long time, over a year, and a friend of mine who is a nurse practitioner said it was something (can't remember what she called it) and she wasn't worried about it. Now, a year later, it's still there. It's soft and moves when touched. My ribs are now achey. Is this something to be concerned about?
Posted Mon, 4 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query.
This is probably some subcutaneous lesion such as lipoma or fibroma and you dont have to be concerned.
If this was malignant it would grow significantly in 1 year and it would be painful and inflammated already.
If this is moveable as you said that this wont be some rib bone or hondral tumor because these are firm and fixed.
So you can do ultrasound and needle biopsy if you wont to confirm what i ve said or you can remove it surgically under local anasthesia. Of course nothing serious can happen if you dont do anything,but If pain in ribs persist or progress you should do chest xray to verify is there any rib pathology,but as I said this is not likely to be something serious.
Wish you good health.
Feel free to ask. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor