Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

Have lump on rib cage below the pectoral muscle and near the sternum. Any advice?

Apr 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 9352 Questions
I have a lump on my rib cage right below the pectoral muscle and near the sternum but there is no bruising
Posted Wed, 8 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 38 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your querry.
If it is soft, tender, and mobile and you dont notice discoloration then this is just subcutaneous benign lesion.
Most common in this area are benign skin cyst, -a ball of muscle spasm-in the pectoralis muscle, or a lipoma-a benign fat tumor.
YOu can do ultrasound with needle aspiration to verify the exact diagnosis. Also it can always be surgically removed. I suggest to remove it if it shows rapid growing or become inflammated.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor