Have lump on back of neck, hard and painful to touch. How to get cure?

Dr. Piyush Ostwal

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in General Health
Question: i have a lump growing on the back left side of my neck between the center of my neck and my ear about the size of a quarter it seems to be growing pretty fast. slight pain when press on.
it is hard to the touch.
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 1 hour later
The lump in that region of the neck is likely to be a swollen lymph node. The causes of lymph node welling may be varied. Most commonly infections cause the swelling of near by lymph nodes. You need to get examined by doctor for any other swellings and nodes. Some investigations may be required depending on examination findings. At times biopsy or aspiration from the swelling is required to establish the cause. Though less likely but we have to keep possibility of a tumor also when evaluating a lymph node swelling.
Hope that answers your query. If there are more queries, i will be happy to answer.
Good luck.