Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
124 Doctors are Online

Have lump on anus, itches little. What is the cause?

Apr 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 9351 Questions
I am 46 yr old female. There is a small lump on the right side of my anus. It's itches a little, what is the cause of this? Will it go away or do I need meds?
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
There are few possible causes.
If this is painful on touch it may indicate abscess or foliculitis which is common in this area. In this case you need antibiitc treatment first or surgical drainage.
If you notic blood in stool, pain during defecation it could be external hemorrhoids which can be treated by special creams and sitz baths or surgery if necessary.
If this is not painful or red then this can be simple subcutaneous lesion such as fibroma or lipoma and in this case it doesnt require any treatment.
Some other casues such as anal polyps are rare but if this persists, starts to bleed or there is pain during bowel movements, you should visit proctologist for further evaluation. Wish you good health. If you have any question I ll be glad to help.Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have lump on anus, itches little. What is the cause? 13 minutes later
Dr. Atomic
Thank you for your response. It is not painful or red. It doesn't hurt when going to the bathroom I'm just remained its there when I wipe. Reading your response it appears to be a Subcutaneous lesion. How long before it goes times its a little itchy.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
Well if you dont have associated symptoms then you dont have to be worried.
It may resolve spontaneously in 1-3 weeks,or you may need some mild steroid creams for it. If there is no improvement,then you should visit doctor who can suggest some methods of surgical removal.
If progressive pain or bleeding occur,you should visit doctor earlier.
Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor