Have lump near the entrance of vagina. No discolouration ans discharge. Suggest?

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 24 Jun 2013 in Women's Health
Question: My wife found a lump or bump near the entrance of her vaginal area. No discoloration, it is round and firm with no discharge. The size of a dime. No pain.
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 55 minutes later

According to your description that could be a bartholin cyst.
Bartholin gland lies behind the labia minora.
It helps in lubrication. The duct of the gland opens in between the upper two thirds and lower one third of the labia minora.
When the duct gets blocked cyst will form.
As it can get infected in future, better to take treatment.
So consult gynecologist once, get examined and take treatment accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow up: Dr. Sree Gouri SR 10 hours later
I looked up pictures of where this would be located. I may not have described it the best I could. It is not inside the vaginal opening (it is apart from where the skin seperates). It is on the outter skin not actually inside the outer edge of the opening. I'm not sure it actually involves the sexual mechanism at all. My wife does not shave around vagina so we didn't think it could like an ingrown hair. Is there another possibility.
I'm not sure my first follow-up question was sent to you. Once again this is a lump not in the sexual part of her vaginal area but just outside on the regular skin surface. A firm bump or lump the size of a dime just under the skin and is round and firm. Any other thoughts as to what this lump could be.
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 13 hours later

If the lesion is located on skin area of labia majora, the possible causes for the her problem are:
-Blocked sweat gland forming cyst which appears as lump.
-Blocked sebaceous cyst.
-Lipoma, fibroma.
-If the lump is located near the groin, that could be a lymph node.

Better to consult gynecologist once, get examined and go for FNAC (Fine needle aspiration cytology) to find out the actual nature of the lesion and take treatment accordingly.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.