Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online

Have lump inside scrotum. Have slight discomfort and abdominal pain. Could this be cancer or cyst?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 726 Questions
I have a lump inside my scrotum, it is not attached to my balls and I've had it before and it went away but now it's back. I have slight discomfort and pain in my abdomen at times, the lump hurts a little if squeezed slightly. Could this be cancer, or some sort of cist, etc.?
Posted Thu, 8 Nov 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 3 hours later
Hello and thanks for posting the query
Although testicular cancer is rare, it is not at all uncommon to find a lump in your testicles.There are many conditions that can be easily confused with testicular cancer, and most of them are not anything like as serious. If the lump is within the testicle itself, there are 90% chances that it can be a testicular cancer. But as you have explained it is not attached to the testis you need not to worry. A simple ultrasound scan will usually differentiate accurately between benign and cancerous swellings.

Certain conditions which give rise to lump or swelling in scrotum are:

1. Cystic swellings: These are the commonest type of swelling and are usually caused by a hydrocele or a cyst in the epididymis or varicose veins above the testicle. Hydrocele repair, excision of an epididymal cyst and open surgery or laparoscopic surgery for a varicocele may be needed if you are experiencing significant symptoms from the swelling. Otherwise, no treatment is necessary.
2. Inflammatory swellings: Infection of the epididymis (acute or chronic, may be chronic in your case) itself is the commonest causes of inflammation. Chronic inflammation cause a solid swelling. Antibiotics are used for infection of the epididymis.
3. Hernias: A hernia arising in the groin can extend down towards the testicle but simple examination will reveal that the swelling does not arise from the scrotum itself. You have very less chances that you have an hernia.

In my opinion it can be cyst or infection of epididymis. Its better to consult your doctor and get the clinical examination done and if needed your doctor can refer you for ultrasound of the part and accordingly treatment can be planned.
Hope I have answered your query. Write back if you have further queries. I will be happy to answer them.
Best Wishes and have a good time.
Dr. Kulbir Singh
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor