Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Have lower back pain with very sharp pains on some movement. Have eye swelling. Both the symptoms linked?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1997
Answered : 150 Questions
I have lower back pain with very sharp pains on some movement. I have not done anything that I'm aware of to cause this pain. It has been getting more Severe throughout the day and weeks. I have had some eye swelling in the last few weeks. I thought i might have touched my eyes with something that i was allergic too but have not been able to pin point anything that I might have come in contact with. Could these 2 symptoms be linked to an issue.
Posted Fri, 27 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Moustafa Saeed 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Very rarley yes

Detailed Answer:
Hi, I read your question and I understand that you are wondering about possible connection between the eye swelling and back pain.

Also it is uncommon but some people may develop type of inflammatory arthritis which can affect joints including the spine (back) as well as other parts of the body including the eyes. but the clinical picture in the eye will be much more than simple swelling, there will be pain, blurred vision and redness which does not settle quickly without treatment.

If your eye symptoms settled completely then you do not need to worry about it.
I will recommend simple analgesia and anti-inflammatory tablets (Ibuprofen or Voltaren) for few days and some physio therapy if no improvement.

If you need to make sure about possible inflammatory arthritis you can get blood test for that, so consult your doctor to see which tests will be useful in your case.

Hope this answers your query. Please write back if you have further questions.

kind regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor