Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

129 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Have lower back pain, tingling in buttocks and pins and needles in feet. Looking for relief

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Spine Surgeon
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 102 Questions

I have had some dull lower back pain from time to time and recently changed my excercise regime from running on a treadmill to riding an excercise bike. Over a period of time this has resulted in a numbing sensation at my tail through to my testicles. This has usually gone away half hour after the ride.

Ovre Christmas I have developed a permanetly tingling bum whcih feels unsual when wiping myself. I have pins and needles in feet too. This has been steady now for around a week and is particuarly noticible when drying myself in a standing position after a bath.

Thu, 24 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Krishna Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for writing your query.

I went through the details submitted with diligence. Numbness / tingling in your buttocks and pins-needles in your feet can be related to low back ache.

Lumbar disc herniations can cause low back ache as well as sensory and neurological complaints along the spinal nerves involved in the herniation. You would need a MRI scan of lower back to confirm the status of lumbar disc.

I am not sure if scans were done; you haven't mentioned any such details. If scans are not done, I would suggest getting it done at the earliest.

A competent spine surgeon can evaluate you and help you get the MRI scan done at the earliest. Treatment can be planned accordingly.

Hope this answers your query. Please revert to me if you have any doubts.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon