Have lower back pain and tingling sensation in buttocks. Looking for solution

Dr. S K Mishra

Spine Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 15 Dec 2012 in Back Pain
Question: I have lower back pain tingling like stinging nettle sensation in both buttocks feels like crushed ,worse when lying or sitting ,cant straighten up to walk and bowel leaks liquid, no blood in stools etc. painful ,sleep disturbed and I feel shorter in height as the day goes on
Age 53 now overweight as physical activity becoming too painful or impossible to acheive
Answered by Dr. S K Mishra 5 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

The following measures can help to reduce your problem.

1. Weight reduction- If walking causes pain, then dietary method can be used. Increase the amount of low calorie food like salads. eg cucumber etc and water in your diet. Stop junk and fried food. For a detailed diet planning a dietician can be of great help.

2. Proper sitting position- Sit with back totally supported and you never bend forward.

3. Consult a general physician, for a detailed clinical examination and advice of proper investigation which may include MRI LS (lumbosacral) spine.

4. Back extension exercises to strengthen the back muscle. You can consult a physiotherapist who would be able to suggest some exercises for the same .

Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Hope this helps. Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli