Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Have lower abdominal pain like labor pains. Feel urge for bowel movement. What can be done?

Jan 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1658 Questions
I am have severe lower abdominal pain. Feel urge to have a bowel movement Feels like severe abdominal Cramps (labor pains) not pregnant or on period. Feels really bad when I sit up or stand up.
Posted Tue, 18 Jun 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 2 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Do you have fever/ nausea and vomiting/ weakness/ excessive flatulence?
Do you have foul smelling watery shit?

With the available described details, there appears to high possibility of Acute bacterial gastroenteritis.
Presence of increased frequency of using washroom suggests the diagnosis.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ gastroenterologist and should go for thorough check up.
You should go for complete blood count, erythrocyte sedimentation rate, ultrasound imaging, and serum electrolytes, renal function test.

You should take complete antibiotic therapy, antispasmodics, probiotics, antipyretics, if needed.

Whenever a patient comes with above mentioned symptoms, then generally 1st diagnosis is gastroenteritis. If your condition won't improve with antibiotic then only non infectious cause should be suspected.

You should maintain your hydration status by taking potassium XXXXXXX liquids.
Take soft diet along with yogurt and banana.
Avoid milk and all milk related products.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor