Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

126 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Have low semen volume, clear and watery in nature. What should I do?

Answered by
Dr. Rajiv goel


Practicing since :1998

Answered : 577 Questions

Posted on Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Men's Health
Question: 36 y/o, male, caucasion. I have very low semen volume, clear and watery in nature. If there is less than 48 hrs between ejaculations, it is almost dry orgasm. I'm concerned about fertility and there is a negative psychological aspect to it, as well. I've had bouts with epididymitis (5-7) times, my doctor didn't think much of it, and always prescribed antibiotics. I have mentioned my concern about the nature of my semen and the low volume, and again, no real concern of direction taken by him. I've read about EDO and am suspicious that that may be the case, at least, I'm hopeful because the treatment appears to be successful and fairly simple. I've looked for evidence of semen in my urine to point towards retrograde ejaculation, but have never seen anything that would make me suspicious. When I was young, right around puberty I can remember for a short time (1-2 months) having intense sexual dreams and right at the moment of climax I would wake up from pain in my pelvic region as I would climax. There would be no emission to speak of. I did nothing about it at the time as I was partly fearful and secondly ignorant, as I didn't know that this was not normal. This subsided shortly afterward and I don't recall it ever happening again. What is best case scenario? Worst case? Thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 22 minutes later
Thanks for sharing your concern with us.

The first and foremost thing you should do is to get your semen analysis done with minimum of 3 days of abstinence and maximum of 5 days of abstinence. If your semen analysis is normal then you should stop worrying about the volume or viscosity of the semen.
If one has frequent intercourse then dry orgasm is expected and hence nothing unnatural about your experiencing dry orgasm if you have repeat intercourse within 48 hours.
Recurrent epididymitis certainly needs to be investigated and you should get urinalysis and ultrasound of the Kidney-ureter-bladder region (KUB) done to rule out any pathology responsible for recurrent epididymitis.

I don't think that you are experiencing retrograde ejaculation and a semen analysis shall answer all your questions and boost your confidence. What you have experienced in childhood is essentially normal and nothing to be worried about.

Hoping to hear from you soon with semen analysis.

Good luck.


Rajiv Goel
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  

Recent questions on  Retrograde ejaculation

doctor1 MD

I had my prostate roto rooted about 5 months ago and sexual function has decreased somewhat steadily and desire has too. I no longer ejaculate. The blue pill doesn't help. Could the procedure have caused this?

doctor1 MD

what are the repucusions and effecs of a prostate biopsy ?

doctor1 MD

I'm taking cystone , urimax 0.4 and ston 1B6 medication for kidney stones. I have tried masturbation twice but no sperm ? Please help.

doctor1 MD

Hi Doc,

I am 28 yr old male undergoing fertility tests and believe I am suffering from ejaculation problem: anejaculation / delayed ejaculation /retrograde ejaculation (not sure which one of these).I performed checks for FSH and testosterone and got results of FSH:2.86 mlU/ml and testosterone: 324.7 ng/dl. Are these normal, what should be my next line of action ?

doctor1 MD

Hi Ive been experiencing some pain in my prostate area for some months now, usually it's associated with ejaculation. The past to weeks my semen has been brownish pink with brown chunks in it. My prostate sometimes feels swollen. I'm only 34 years old. Is this common?

doctor1 MD

I have what looks like small floating pieces of tissue in my urine. A couple of weeks ago I had what looked like very tiny tadpoles, they actually looked like sperm cells, however, I know they are microscopic. To compound the issue I had a TURP in 1988 when I was 37 which caused retrograde ejaculation until a few years ago when I started slowly ejaculating material which went from the consistency of normal semen to now being clear and like water. Any ideas?