Have low iron due to heavy periods. Feeling fatigue and weakness. What are the risks?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Women's Health
Question: I am overly exhausted. I have low iron due to heavy periods. I woke up in a night sweat this afternoon and it smells very sweet. I'm 39 and have been increasingly becoming more and more tired. I take 40mg of Paxil for chemical imbalance. The fatigue and weakness is so bad that my husband works & takes care of our family. My body aches and the Dr's have not been able to figure this out. Have had numerous blood tests done including an ECG. We are at a loss and I feel like I'm losing my life.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
The symptoms that you are having are likely to be due to low iron. Severe anaemia can often cause such symptoms.
The weight gain that you are having needs proper hormonal evaluation under the guidance of your endocrinologist.
Iron deficiency has to be treated with oral iron supplements, a multivitamin supplement and folic acid. Oral iron supplements are prescription drugs and you would need to see your physician for the same. At the same time, you can take Tablet Centrum 1 tablet in the morning 1 hour before/after food. You can also take tablet folic acid 5 mg once a day to take care of any folate deficiency.
The following foods are XXXXXXX in iron and would prove useful for you:
a. Beans
b. Legumes
c. Grains
d. Meats
e. Jaggery
f. XXXXXXX leafy vegetables like spinach
Over the long term, I would like you to take a healthy and balanced diet to prevent anemia in the future.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 minutes later
Thank you. Yes, I know that the anemia is contributing to this fatigue. I do take oral iron but this didn't make a difference. I then opted for iron shots but I developed a reaction. I have opted for an Uteral Oblation to cut down the blood loss. I am very conscientious of my extra dietary iron intake but it really is a matter of the 4 liquid cups of blood loss. I know this my measuring using a Diva Cup. The smell of my night sweat is not a normal smell. It's very sweet. I can't help but wonder if there is more going on here.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 32 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The smell of the night sweats can alter according to your food intake and water intake. The change in the smell is not likely to be due to any pathology. Please do not worry and consider endometrial ablation to decrease the bleeding.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.