Have lipomas on hands and stomach. How to control without any operation?

Dr. Sudarshan

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 10 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: Hi i am facing problem with lipomas on may Hands and stomach.Some of them are smaller and some of them are growing. Kindly suggest me how i can control with out any operation and what are all the side effects with the lipomas.

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Thanks for writing in.

Lipomas are the collection of adult type of fat cells.
They are harmless and do not cause any problems to the body.
They can be allowed to stay as it is if they are not causing any problems.
The indication for removal of lipoma can be pain ,interference with day to day activities or for cosmetic purpose( for the appearance ).

The best treatment for lipomas would be removal by small surgical procedure called NHET.It is minor procedure in which the swellings could be removed by very small incision which do not cause scar or sutures.
It is the ideal method for the treatment .

If you dont want to undergo this surgery some drugs can be tried like Statins.Statins are used to control cholesterol and also to treat lipomas.
These drugs have to be taken for longer time like 3-6 months.Also these can have a few side effects hence have to be taken under doctors supervision.

An interesting other therapy would be DRUM therapy.In which patient has to practice beating drums (musical Drums) daily.This exercises the muscles of forearm and reduces the size of lipomas.

Thses are the available treatment options for lipomas.
Hope this helps.
I will be available for follow up.

Regards.
DrSudarshan
Dermatology.