Have lipoma on the front of neck. Should I be concerned and remove it?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Cancer
Question: Hi, I have a lipoma on the front of my neck. I am going for an ultrasound on Wednesday. Should I be nervous to have the lipoma removed as it is so close to my throat?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
A lipoma is a benign collection of fat cells. By doing an ultrasound scan, its extent will be confirmed and it will be seen if it is putting any pressure on the deeper structures. Since it is a superficial subcutaneous swelling, there is no need to worry in getting it removed surgically. This can be easily removed under local anaesthesia as a day care surgery.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.