Have light and sparse eyebrow by birth. How to grow eyebrow?

Dr. Sudarshan

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello Doctor,

All my life I had light and sparse eyebrows. I never plucked or waxed my eyebrows, I was just born with light and sparse eyebrows. I want my eyebrows to become thicker, longer, and fuller. Is there any creams or medications I can take to promote new eyebrow hair growth? I am thinking about putting Rogaine, Latisse, or Librow on my eyebrows but I don't know if these products are safe and if they work. I heard Rogaine can cause eyebrow hair to become thicker and fuller. This woman on a forum said that she tried it and it works. Here is the link so you can read it. WWW.WWWW.WW
But I heard that using Rogaine regularly may cause my face to age faster as a side effect. Is this true?

Also, I want to know if the product Latisse will help me grow more eyebrow hairs even though it is meant for eyelashes, and I am wondering if it is safe to try it?

Lastly, I want to know if the product Librow is effective in growing more eyebrow hairs.

Please, if you know any medications or creams that can promote eyebrow hair growth in a person that is born with sparse eyebrow hair, let me know.

Thank you doctor.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Thanks for writing in.
I understand your concern and will advise you accordingly.
Out of rogaine ,latisse and Librow rogaine is most effective and proven drug for growing eyebrows.
Rogaine contains minoxidil which is tested and proven drug for eyebrow growth.
It should be used with MINOXIDIL 2% lotion has to be applied carefully with cotton bud or applicator over the desired area.When applied correctly there are no side effects.There is noticeable growth in 3-6 months.
Librow has botanical contents and claims to have good growth but it is not proven.

In my patients with loss of eyebrow I recommend 2% minoxidil (rogaine) with good results and no notable side effects.

Ultimate decision depends on you with what product you want to ahead.
Hope this helps.
I will be available for follow up.

Regards.
DrSud
Dermatology
Follow up: Dr. Sudarshan 58 minutes later

I just want to clarify that I have never lost any eyebrow hair. I am naturally born with thin and sparse eyebrow hair. I was wondering if rogaine would still work for growing more eyebrow hair if I am naturally born with thin eyebrow hair? I have never plucked or tweezed my eyebrows before.

Also, I am still concern about rogaine making my face look older. I have heard that rogaine can inhibit collagen synthesis which results in making my face look older, which is a side effect I am most worried about. I just want to know if I use it only on my eyebrows, will I experience these side effects? I am asking this again because I have heard that there were bald men who used rogaine on their head and they said their face aged about 5 years older in 2 months of using rogaine.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 8 hours later
Hi again,
I understand that you have not lost your eyebrows.
Still the rogaine would be best to treat your sparse eyebrows.
As told before with correct application of small amounts of rogaine 2% there are no side effects.Aging and other effects are due to in appropriate large amounts of application which go down on face and give rise to side effects.

Rogaine is available with aminexil now which promotes absorption and prevents collagen side effects.So when used properly it is effective and safe.

Hope this helps.