Have less beard and moustache growth. Is there any treatment?

Dr. Sudarshan

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi,
I am 24 years old. I am facing problems for my facial hair. The growth rate of my mustache and beard is very little . I know it's my genetical disorder but i dont want to suffer this type of problems. Please help me.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later

Hi XXXXXXX
thanks for writing in.
Growth of mustache and beard hair is under genetic and hormonal control.
Facial hair growth is mainly dependent on testesterone levels .
Testesterone or the MALE hormone causes beard growth.
If your father and grandfather had a slow or scanty facial hair growth it is likely that you will have the same rate and pattern of growth.

If you still want to go for treatment ,your testesterone and dihydrotestesterone levels will have to be tested.After this you can be given injections of testesterone to increase the hair growth.There are no specific drugs to increase the facial hair growth.Hormonal treatment is the only option.

Hope this helps.

I would be available for follow up.

DrSudarshan
Follow up: Dr. Sudarshan 13 hours later
Thanks Doctor for your prompt response.

As there is the only solution to my problem is to test testesterone levels please suggest me where I can perform these tests. I am currently living in kolkata and how I can proceed further to cure myself and contact you for injections to increase my facial hair growth.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 7 minutes later
Hi again,

You can test your levels at any standard pathology lab.Only one blood sample would be needed to estimate Total testesterone ,free testesterone ,DHEAS levels.
It will be good to consult a good dermatologist in kolkatta first, as I am based at ahmedabad.
DrKaushik lahiri is a qualified doctor and you can consult him.
He is available at "48/1F XXXXXXX XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Gariahat
Kolkata"
Then we can determine the need for hormonal therapy.

Hope this helps.
DrSudarshan
Follow up: Dr. Sudarshan 42 hours later

I have decided to go through the tests suggested by you. But there is a question that if I ll take help of any medicine available in market (saw in internet ) which will help to increase my testorene level naturally are those going to help me.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 14 hours later
Hi again XXXXXXX

My advise to you would be to visit a dermatologist or endocrinologist before taking any online products.The products are costly and may have side effects.

A proper consultation would be required for starting medications.

Hope this clears your doubt.

DrSudarshan