Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Have less beard and moustache growth. Is there any treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1391 Questions
I am 24 years old. I am facing problems for my facial hair. The growth rate of my mustache and beard is very little . I know it's my genetical disorder but i dont want to suffer this type of problems. Please help me.
Posted Sun, 9 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later

thanks for writing in.
Growth of mustache and beard hair is under genetic and hormonal control.
Facial hair growth is mainly dependent on testesterone levels .
Testesterone or the MALE hormone causes beard growth.
If your father and grandfather had a slow or scanty facial hair growth it is likely that you will have the same rate and pattern of growth.

If you still want to go for treatment ,your testesterone and dihydrotestesterone levels will have to be tested.After this you can be given injections of testesterone to increase the hair growth.There are no specific drugs to increase the facial hair growth.Hormonal treatment is the only option.

Hope this helps.

I would be available for follow up.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have less beard and moustache growth. Is there any treatment? 13 hours later
Thanks Doctor for your prompt response.

As there is the only solution to my problem is to test testesterone levels please suggest me where I can perform these tests. I am currently living in kolkata and how I can proceed further to cure myself and contact you for injections to increase my facial hair growth.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 7 minutes later
Hi again,

You can test your levels at any standard pathology lab.Only one blood sample would be needed to estimate Total testesterone ,free testesterone ,DHEAS levels.
It will be good to consult a good dermatologist in kolkatta first, as I am based at ahmedabad.
DrKaushik lahiri is a qualified doctor and you can consult him.
He is available at "48/1F XXXXXXX XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Gariahat
Then we can determine the need for hormonal therapy.

Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have less beard and moustache growth. Is there any treatment? 42 hours later

I have decided to go through the tests suggested by you. But there is a question that if I ll take help of any medicine available in market (saw in internet ) which will help to increase my testorene level naturally are those going to help me.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 14 hours later
Hi again XXXXXXX

My advise to you would be to visit a dermatologist or endocrinologist before taking any online products.The products are costly and may have side effects.

A proper consultation would be required for starting medications.

Hope this clears your doubt.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor