• question-icon

Have left hip pain,popping, buckling. X-ray showed mild arthritis, cyst, and fluid in joint area. What to do?

Posted on Fri, 19 Jul 2013 in General Health
Question: Have left hip pain,popping, buckling. Total onset about a heart.
Slipped while scrubbing shower. Initially popped without pain, then pain increased , had physical therapy but pain continued. Xray showed mild arthritis, cyst, and fluid in joint area. My doctor told me I Would need a total hip replacement and that I had labrial tear. I was given a depro injection by radiology onto my hip. No real relief of pain except for the first day but shot did have some novacaine. Both legs were numb and had to wait until legs had feeling to walk to car. I was on levaquin for a leg infection.and
noticed increased disc omfort in.joints. Long story short had a reaction to medication..called pharmacist only new med ,called my doctor . Med stopped and rested as he said. Pain continues. Explained to my physician about not wanting a hip replacement for just one injury and no prior hip pain. MRI done w/ findings: small joint effusion. Abnormal signal near the associated with the ligamentum teres near it's attachment to the transverse ligament is suspicious for at least a partial tear. The superior labrum is intact.
Degenerative changes noted with moderate superior joint space narrowing and cartilage loss along the superior acetabulum. Patchy areas of abnormal T2 signal noted in the femoral head consistent with marrow edema. Cystic changes noted in the inferior posterior rim of the acetabulum. No soft tissue abnormality. Impression:
abnormalsignal involving ligamentum teres near it's attachment to the transverse ligament suspicious for at least a partial tear. Mild degeneration changes, small joint effusion, superior Latin is intact. According to my orthopedic, no arthroscopic can repair the tear and just stay off hip,use a walker walker and that I may have small fxs in my femoral head. First diagnosis was wrong so am not sure if this one is right.But unable to shop, cook, clean or live a normal life. Rest but soon as I cook dinner standing for a short time ,the pain starts again.
Answered by Dr. S. Jegadeesan 6 hours later
Thanks for your inquiry,
I went through your reports. As per the MRI report
You already have degenerative changes, narrow joint space, cartilage loss, marrow edema of the femoral head with cystic changes in the acetabulam are the indications for the hip joint replacement. Additionally you have ligaments tear due to the injury which could not be rectified by Arthroscopy.
Your age + existing damage are the indications for hip joint replacement and not the injury alone.
Hip joint replacement will relieve all your previous (prior to injury) and present complaints.
Best wishes
Dr. S. Jegadeesan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. S. Jegadeesan