Have large morgagni hernia. Having cough and breathing difficulty. How to get relief till surgery?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have been diagnosed with large morgagni hernia. I am up all night coughing, with pain and trouble breathing. What can I do to manage until surgery 2 -3 months away?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
It is a rare surgical disease where intra abdominal organs protrude through the diaphragm and press on the lungs.
Since the problem is surgical,there is no medicine which can help you in your cough.
The only way to avoid coughing is to keep your head side elevated at the time of sleep so that the the intra abdominal contents are kept downwards.This will result in less pressure on lungs.
Surgery only can alleviate your symptoms.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks