Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Have large bumps on inner thigh and developed white head. What could it be?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 393 Questions
Hey doc. I have a slightly larger than pea sized bump on my right inner thigh, where the butt meets my leg. Thought it was an insect bite, was painful for a few days, developed a white head, then the pain went away and it began to heal, although the dark coloration in the affected area remained. After a month (3 weeks after pain went away), the pain and swelling has returned in the same place. I don't have it anywhere else, just this one spot. What could it be?
Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 26 minutes later
Hi..Welcome to XXXXXXX
Thanks for your query.

From what you mention , it appears to be a 'Folliculitis' in the mentioned site.
This is an infection of the hair-follicles and is precipitated by a trauma like shaving/epilation/waxing or even sometimes by friction or accidental pulling of hair. This is caused by a bacteria most commonly Staphylococcus aureus ,which infects and causes the location to become pus filled in sometime.The pus is perceived as a white-head many.
When the folliculitis heals , it leaves a darker color called 'post-inflammatory hyper pigmentation'.
A frequent problem with Folliculitis is that it is recurrent unless a proper antibiotic therapy is administered and this is what might have returned now.

I will be able to help you better if you can upload a few pictures of the same(in good resolution) .You can send in your pictures to YYYY@YYYY with subject as 'ATTN DR.TANUSHREE BISWAS'.

I will be happy to answer your follow-up queries.

Best Wishes,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have large bumps on inner thigh and developed white head. What could it be? 35 hours later
Hello Doctor. It's difficult to get a photo due to the location, but I have sent one to you as requested.

I tried to exfoliate the area, and it seems there is a small hole in the top of the reddened area now.

This is going to sound crazy, but originally I was worried it was some sort of STD because right before it appeared I went to a bar in the developing world that turned out to be filled with hookers, and I used the toilet. The painful bump is right on the area that touches a toilet seat when sitting down. Can you put my mind at ease in that area? There is only one area that has been affected and the bump, as mentioned, returned in the exact same place. The timing seems to coincide with just before the start of my menstrual cycle.

Since it seems to have begun draining, it's not nearly as painful as it had been.

What is the recommended course of action if in fact it is folliculitis? What else could it be? And if medical treatment is necessary, what kind of doctor do I need to go to/what kinds of medications are necessary?

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 10 hours later
Hi..thanks for following up and uploading the picture. I know taking the photo must have been tough, but appreciate you doing that.

Looking at the picture ,I feel there is an infection in the site ,like the Folliculitis i mentioned.
The usual course of treatment is :
1)Oral antibiotics for 5-7 days
2)Topical anti biotic creams like Mupirocin 2% or Fusidic acid for 7-10 days
3) Oral anti-inflammatory medications for 2-3 days.
4) Normal saline to clean the area twice daily and strictly no touching/ attempting to squeeze or drain it.
5)Warm compresses to drain out the inflammatory fluid and relieve the pain.

You could do the last 2 steps at home .However , a dermatologist visit is required to assess and start the oral/topical medication.
In certain cases ,your doctor may require a swab to be sent for culture.

This is not a sign of STD.You can be assured on that.

Since this is on site that is subjected to more contamination and fiction all the time, lesions require little more time to heal that the other sites.You may use a band aid to cover the area to prevent furher infection .

Hope I have answered your query.If you do not have any further clarifications , you may close this and rate the answer.

Wishing you good health,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor