Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

Have knee pain, no injury, working as teacher. How can such pain be treated?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 660 Questions
my wife is suffering from Knee pain from last fifteen days .. She has no such compliant earlier. There is no injury but still there is Knee pain. Her Job Profile is to take classes wherein she has to stand for several hours. How can such pain be treated.
Posted Sat, 29 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 1 hour later

Thanks for your query.

In the absence of trauma, the knee pain is significant and can be related to arthritis. Among the many causes of arthritis osteoarthritis is commonly associated with middle aged women especially close to menopause or after menopause.

The next step in the management for this pain is to consult a doctor who expertises in knee joint related issues. An orthopedician will be ideal choice. He/she will get her knee joint X-rayed and also perform some basic investigations like complete blood count, ESR, C Reactive Protein, Serum Uric acid, etc.

In the meantime, your wife can apply hot compression locally along with local analgesic gel application. Ask her to take some rest i.e. keep herself away from her classes for few days. Your wife can also take ibuprofen or pyroxicam tablets orally twice daily along with ranitidine tablets for pain relief.

Hope I have answered you. If you have further queries you can write back to me freely. Kindly write a review on my answer.

Dr Arnab Maji
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have knee pain, no injury, working as teacher. How can such pain be treated? 1 hour later
she is 46 years old and her weightg is 65 kg . Will a Knee bandage help to relieve the pain or her conditions warrants taking to the specialist which we are littble bit reluctant as this will involve lot of time and money. Also I would to inform you that the pain is there only when standing ,, while sitting or sleeping ,, the pain dis appear. Also Ice packs applications . will it help ? Also i would like to mention that the pain is there in the right leg and left leg is ok
Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 6 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Knee bandage, ice pack application will give her symptomatic relief but as a doctor i should advise you to go for the investigation in order to detect the disease process that is going on. Because its very important to halt the disease process in its early stage rather than giving only symptomatic relief.

Pain during standing not during sleeping and sitting is indicative of osteoarthritis changes in the joint at their earliest stages. In this stage treatment will halt the progression of the disease. So actual treatment is needed not only symptomatic treatment.

I agreed that is expensive and time consuming. For this i will suggest you to attend orthopedic out patient department of your nearest medical college and hospitals where you will get the specialised service in a minimum of costs though it will take time.

If not possible immediately your wife can undergo those conservative management like compression, bandage, local analgesic gel application, oral analgesic now. Later on you may consult orthopedician or do investigations.

Hope i have answered you. If you have further queries you may ask me. Kindly write a review on my answer.

Dr Arnab Maji
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor