Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Have kidney stones and in stools. Not able to urinate. Taking medicines. Concerned. What can be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14968 Questions
I have been told that I have kidney stones & stones developing in my stool (hardening), This was 1 wk ago, now I'm
taking meds for this, Still Not able to urinate ,only so slowly,,,rt flank pain and possible infection also? No relief for the
pain, very concerned about all the instructions i was given . taking meds as directed, drinking fluids Now, waiting from a call from my PC to see what to do next, I have been in the ER the last 3 times and they always send me home, with not explaining what's happening.please tell me things are going to be alright?
Posted Mon, 15 Jul 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 28 minutes later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is possible that kidney stones can lead to a urine would allow any bacteria present to multiply increases the chance of an infection occurring.

Urinary tract infections would be associated with pain either in the abdomen or in the flank where the kidneys are located. They would also present with burning or discomfort on urination, the urge to urinate frequently, possible odour to the urine or change in appearance, fever.

The kidney stones would also cause flank pain , urgency to urinate, nausea, blood in the urine but would not be associated with the other symptoms mentioned such as burning on urination or change in odour.

Normally the use of copious fluids and pain medication is recommended. Passage can vary from a few hours to a month in some persons.
The use of fluids and medication may be all that is needed if the stone is less than 5mm then it is more likely to pass on its own, if it is larger it is less likely.

In addition it also depends on which part of the urinary tract is involved.

If you are not having any relief it is possible that the stone is impacted in some part of the urinary tract.You may need to see a urologist for shock wave therapy to decrease the size of the stone so that it may pass easier.

Your doctor can check your urine to determine if any infection is present.

At this moment you can continue the fluids and medication, at your visit to your doctor he or she can check for infection.
If none is present he or she may consider a referral to an urologist.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor