Have kidney stone. Taking ciprofloxin. Noticed change in stool color. Is this normal?

Dr. V. Sasanka

Urologist

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Question: hi, have a 9mm kidney stone, have stent, taking ciprofloxin. pain killers make me sick, taking motrin. stools normal color, and then dark grey, back to normal, today dark grey again. is this normal? awaiting next appt. and surgery date for stone removal.
thanks!
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 1 hour later
Your 9mm stone in kidney needs to be dealt with by either shock wave lithotripsy or laser lithotripsy. The details will be explained to you by your urologist. You might have been started on ciprofloxacin in view of having a stent placed. Now the dark grey stools which seem to recur are certainly not likely to be due to stone or the antibiotic. If you have had heartburn earlier, suggesting that you had acid-peptic disease (gastritis) earlier, there is a significant chance that this could be the cause. If you have a bleeding ulcer in your upper gastrointestinal tract, the stools can become quite dark (sometimes tarry black indeed). I suggest you consult someone for an upper gastro-endoscopy, and plan for further treatment depending on its findings. till then, you could benefit from use of drugs like Ranitidine or Pantoprazole or some oral mixture for dyspepsia which could be an antacid. Hope this makes you feel better.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. V. Sasanka 19 hours later
could it be from my use of ant-acids? back to normal today. I already have the stent. had for 11 days. and it is miserable!
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 56 minutes later
As I said earlier, the gastritis is more likely to be the cause of grey stools rather than use of antacids. An intermittently bleeding ulcer can cause you to have a similar picture where you have normal stools one day, and dark stools on another day. Some antacids might possibly cause such colouration.
I am afraid the stent can cause you some mild to moderate discomfort till it is removed. One of our fellow urologists recently had to have a stone extracted from his kidneys, and after he was done with the procedure, he swore that he would never stent another patient again! Apparently, the discomfort the stent can cause can be significant. But the benefit it provides continues to make more urologists lean towards a stented versus a non-stented procedure.
Maybe you can speak to whoever is managing your stone, and see if they can hurry up things a little bit.
Regards.