Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Have keratosis pilaris. Pinkish skin that itches. Should stop using soaps and moisturizers?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 304 Questions
I have a son, almost 3 year old. he seems to have "keratosis pilaris". His skin became like chicken skin with pinkish at some places and itchy at few places and few times. We can confirm its that problem. But he seems to have such chicken skin kind of bumps on his tounge too. Not too much and its clear that the pores or what ever looks like bumps on his tounge now. Can that problem "keratosis pilaris", come on tounge too? What is best way to remove itchiness, besides not using soaps and applying mositurizer frequently?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 3 hours later

Thanks for your query.

Keratosis pilaris is a chronic condition and usually runs in families.

Oral Vitamin A and Topical Retinoic acid are treatment of choice. Glycolic Acid has also been used in treating cases. Discuss these things with your treating doctor.

Keratosis pilaris doesnot affect any mucosal sites like eyes and oral cavity. Genitals are also not affected.

The skin once treated can again be affected with new crop of lesions and treatment hence has to be an ongoing process.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.


Dr.Rohit Batra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have keratosis pilaris. Pinkish skin that itches. Should stop using soaps and moisturizers? 3 hours later
is atopic dermatitis different from this?
the pediatrician recommended only moisturizing cream and topcort cream for itching relief.
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 13 hours later
Yes, atopic dermatitis and keratosis pilaris are 2 different conditions, although keratosis pilaris might be seen in a very few patients of atopic dermatitis.
Further, the treatment for atopic dermatitis will not produce relief for the lesions seen in keratosis pilaris.
I would suggest that you see a dermatologist so that a proper examination is done and appropriate treatment can be started.


Dr.Rohit Batra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor