Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

Have keratoconus, undergone C3R procedure and suggested to wear spectacles. Have irritation and redness with lenses

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 5709 Questions
I have a keratoconus for the past 6 months and I have undergone a C3R procedure to stop the growth and I was suggested to wear spectacles, as I do not have proper vision even after using spectacles I switched over to RGP contact lenses but it gives me more irritation and redness in my eyes. I am planning for the ICL surgery and I need your advice.
Posted Sun, 8 Sep 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello Mr. XXXXXXX You can undergo ICL procedure

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Health care Magic

C3R- Corneal Collagen Crosslinking is the treatment of choice to halt the progression of the Keratoconus, which you have underwent.

The next step is visual rehabilitation which can be done by spectacles, contact lenses or secondary surgeries.

ICL- Implantable Contact Lens which you are palnning to undergo is the most common surgical procedure performed for visual improvement. ICL corrects myopia and astigmatism caused by keratoconus. ICL is done as an day care surgery and it is safe with proven efficacy.
The points to be considered before doing the surgery are
1. Presence of stable refraction after C3R for 3 months.
2. Age more than 21 years.
3. No improvement in vision with use of spectacles and contact lenses.
4. Anterior segment depth of more than 3.0 mm.

Since you are having stable refraction as mentioned in your case summary,aged more than 21 years and spectacles/contact lenses have failed to improve vision and having anterior segment depth of more than 3.0 mm, you can undergo ICL procedure.

Consult your ophthalmologist for further evaluation and treatment.

Hope I have answered your query.
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Ophthalmologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor