Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

165 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Have itchy swollen earlobes. Should I consult a doctor?

Answered by
Dr. Ram Choudhary

Internal Medicine Specialist

Practicing since :2001

Answered : 2272 Questions

Posted on Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My wife has swollen BOTH earlobes. Its itchy sometimes. It is slight red too. It has completed 5 days. No piercing problem. It is due to allergy or insect bite. Ear feels hot many times. Do I need to see doctor immediately? Suggest good OTC medicines to treat this. Present medications include risperidone and trihexphenydyl for mild psychosis.
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 41 minutes later
Welcome to healthcare magic!
I have seen her photographs. Is seems to be an allergic reaction.
Please make a note of the things which have come in her use recently like a shampoo, hair XXXXXXX deodorant spray, hair oil, a perfume, a soap or almost any thing that has been used recently, which was not being used in past could be a cause for this allergy.
She should tale tablet Levocetirizine 5mg daily at bed time for 15days.
I hope you would get benefited with my advise.
Wish you a good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 hours later
Thanks a lot for quick reply. well, I missed to mention that she had mild allergy on neck and surrounding parts on the very next day swelling appeared on ears. I have sent pic for that. She has much relief right now for that allergy near neck and surrounding, still having itching on that part though. Just I want to be sure that nothing to worry about that thing.

Well, for ears allergy, as you said levocetirize is Rx medicine. Can I use cetirizine or loratadine for the same purpose? If yes, please write me the dosage and duration. She has itching on ears Can I use calamine lotion/hydrogen peroxide for local application? . Thanks a lot.
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 4 hours later
Welcome back to XXXXXXX
The allergic reaction around the neck is still quite alarming and such reactions can cause XXXXXXX swelling at times and may lead to choking.
You should make sure that you have access to healthcare on urgent basis if she has any respiratory problem.
She should ideally get a physical examination by a physician at your locality.
She should receive a short course of Prednisolone 40mg/day post meals for at least 5days or till the redness goes away from all areas.
I advise Levocetirizine because my personal experience of loradidine is not extensive one.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Ram Choudhary 36 minutes later
Do I need to consult ENT specialist or Dermatologist? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 10 hours later
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
The help should be in reach in case the symptoms progress despite treatment, if you are sure you can shift her in less than 10 minutes than you can give treatment at home as I have told you and wait and watch. Strating the treatment early makes all the difference.
If the help is more far then better get her hospitalised at least to day care.
I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you.
Take Care!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Drug/Medication ,   ,   ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Prednisolone

doctor1 MD

Hi I ahve had addisons typeprimary. I take 2 mg of medrol in the morning also ten mg of hydrocortison, laterabout midday I tske another 5 mg of hydrocort about 4 oclock in the afternoon . Same routine most days unless I get sinus, for which I have to take an antibiotic and up a few of the hydrocorts .

doctor1 MD

Hi, i am rajesh, four days before i drank 2lts of pepsi and now i got 6 by 5cm bluish black hyperpigmented patch over the anterior aspect of my left thigh, i want to know whether is it due to pepsi intake. my age is 62yrs, ht 164cm, wt 65kg, i am an asthamatic and diabetic and taking prednisolone 10mg , gemer2 in morning and deriphylline150mg , ecosprin gold 20 forte in evening. so please reply and oblige thank you

doctor1 MD

my wife is on wafrin for over one year now she has had pain on both sides of her back in the lung area and i have been massaging phorpain gel, after a scan last year it was discoverd that she had three clots in the lung i am concerned that it may be another clot, she is sweating a lot and her skin is cold and very moist i may add that she is also on prednisolone

doctor1 MD

I was diagnosed with bronchitis yesterday and given benzonatate 100 mg every 6 hours, it hardly did anything and lasted only a few hours, I called the pharmacy and they said I could double the dose. I took it at 10 pm and cannot stop coughing. I don't know what to do. It is a dry hacking cough. She also gave me a prescription of methylprednisolone and said to take get it filled if the antiobiotics and teh benzonatate don't work...I'm not wheezing do not have sinsus problems. I don't know what to do

doctor1 MD

Hey doctor, Last night after visiting a friends house I was bitten by mosquitos and also some sort of insect/possibly spider as well? The mosquito bites all looked and felt the same mainly just an itch but I got some sort of insect bite on my arm...

doctor1 MD

I was diagnosed with a sinus infection yesterday and was given a z pact for infection. This morning my right side of face is numb. Is this normal?

doctor1 MD

My boyfriend has had a sudden onset of hives all over his body with the exception of his neck, face and head on Sunday. He has been on Benadryl since Sunday afternoon and Benedryl and prednisone since Monday with very little relief. It seems to...