Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Have itchy skin. Blood test showed mild leucocytosis and eosinophilla. What does this mean?

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4047 Questions
I have got my blood test done which says Mild leucocytosis, Eosinophilla
I am not facing any problem right now except itching on skin
Posted Thu, 14 Mar 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. S Patra 46 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve your problem.

First of all, I like to comment on over all test reports. There is slight high level of total leukocyte & eosinophil count than normal range. It is called eosinophilic leukocytosis in medical term (that you already told) and leading cause of the itching of skin that you are facing now.

The most common underlying pathology for eosinophilia is allergies in the form of bronchial asthma, pollen/ dust particle, certain food stuffs (commonly egg, milk, wheat, soya, sea foods, peanuts, brinjal, prawn etc), lymph node enlargement or seasonal change etc. It can be associated with a parasitic infection in the form of abdominal pain, diarrhea, fever, cough etc or occur due to some skin diseases/ effect of certain medication.

In case of parasitic infection, one stool test is suggested to rule out underlying pathogen. Complete treatment depends on the pin point diagnosis of causative factors. You may need to take anti histamines (like cetirizine) or anti parasite drug therapy along with external cream/ lotion for soothing effect of the skin. So, please consult with your dermatologist for proper medication after complete investigation.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health in future & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Radiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor