Have itchy scalp. Tried many dandruff shampoo. How to prevent hair loss?

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Hair Loss
Question: Hi I have a query,
Last few months my hair and sculp has been really itchy only behind the ears and back of the neck where the hair line ends. There are white scabs where it's itchy. I have tried all types of dandruff shampoos but nothing has helped.
My hair is now very week and dull. My hair has thinned right out and brakes really easy
Answered by Dr. Prasad 8 hours later

Hair and scalp problems are associated with multiple factors. Based on what you describe, it looks like you are most likely suffering with dandruff / seborrhoea. I wonder what shampoo you been using.

Seborrhoea or dandruff is caused by a less harming fungi and needs regular antidandruff shampoo washes for proper control. Among the various antidandruff shampoos available, medicated ones such as 'Nizoral' and '8x' shampoo have been tested with successful results. Please compare the results with your current shampoo after 3-6 weeks of thrice weekly usage.

On certain occasions the dandruff cause inflammatory changes (seborrheic dermatitis) where there are raised and red lesions occur at few occasions like nape of neck, behind the ears, face, eyebrows and so on. Topical steroid applicants are warranted here.

In addition to the above, your problem may be linked to
1. Hormonal disturbance - Irregular periods, obesity, dry skin, easy tiredness, depressive episodes, etc., are associated symptoms.
2. Nutritional causes - If your diet lacks vitamin and minerals. Use of root vegetables and fruits are beneficial.
3. Telogen effluvium - in relation to recent stress, infection and other physical factors.

In brief, I suggest you to try a better antidandruff shampoo for the next few weeks; increase the amount of root vegetables consumed; and lead a less stressful life involving physical exercise, regular sleep and food. Your hair should feel better and healthy very soon.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Good luck!