Have itchy red patch on roof of mouth. How to get rid of this?

Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda

Dentist

Posted on Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in Dental Health
Question: Hi, starting about 3-4 days ago, I have a small red patch on the roof of my mouth that is sometimes itchy. It feels soft like after you eat old McDonalds fries or a dry biscuit. I do not smoke or drink, although I have once or twice nearly a half a year ago. I am not sexually active. And I did start drinking powdered muscle milk, but there's no way I can be allergic to it since I had the liquid version of it like 2 weeks beforehand and nothing happened. Nothing like this has happened before. What can this be? Also, I have a cut inside my lip, but I remember biting myself there, so its most likely unrelated.
I forgot to go in depth with the description of the patch. It extends from one side of the roof, to the other. Right in the middle. There are no bumps or cuts. Tastes like copper, like a XXXXXXX I took a picture on my phone, which I cant seem to get onto my computer, and the color looked reddish, like a rash, and it looked like it made a circle with a dark ring that went along my teeth, but that could have just been a shadow in the picture.
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 2 hours later
I would like you to know that redness and swelling on the roof of mouth or the palate can be due to a number of factors.
Hot drinks or food can cause burns, which causes soreness of the palate.
I am glad to know that you do not smoke; therefore, it is quite clear that the lesion is not much of a concern.
It is most probably a temporary red patch, which will heal within 7 to 10 days.
I advise you to see a dentist, as a thorough check up is needed to rule out the cause and prescribe a medication to promote healing.
Kindly avoid hot and spicy food for a while, until the palate heals completely.
I hope this answer was useful.
Any further queries from your side are welcome.
I wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 14 hours later
Today it got a lot softer after brushing my teeth. This Is probably stupid of me to do, but I scratched it and it looked like dead skin came off underneath my nail. I felt the spot I scratched, with my tongue, and it was very smooth, probably how its supposed to be? Could this be more evidence of a burn? You can take these as rhetorical questions and only answer if you think it could turn into something serious. To me it seems to be healing and getting better. Thanks for the information!
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 48 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.
I would be glad to inform you that the peeling happened as a usual healing process,
Below it, a smooth, pinkish red tissue is present which is absolutely normal.
Therefore, just be calm it is nothing serious.
I hope I answered your query.
Feel free to write back if you have further questions.