Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

122 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Have itchy red bumps on arms, legs and back. Had cortisone shot. Any effective cure?

Answered by
Dr. Kruti


Practicing since :2003

Answered : 345 Questions

Posted on Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Skin Rash
Question: I have a rash that heas been with me for about 3-4 mths. It started as a couple of red bumps on my arm that itched. Now I have them on my legs, arms and back. They dont itch as bad as they did when it first appeared. I have been to 3 doctors who do not know what it is. I have been on hydroxyzine and prednison twice but nothing helped. I even had a cortisone shot that did not help. The steroid helped prevent spreading but thats it. I am so confused about what this may be. It came out of nowhere. I even used mite cream prescribed by the doctor just in case, but no one in my home has it. It has made me look hideous. The look like flea bites, but some are tiny tiny blister like lesions. The bumps are not big at all. there is just so many of them and they have spread to the tops of my hands as well.
Answered by Dr. Kruti 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query.

I will be glad to be of assistance.

From the description that you gave could indicate a vesiculobullous disease where there are fluid filled blisters.

The treatment of that is medications like steroids and methotrexate, azathioprine etc.

However it would be best to see a dermatologist for the same and discuss my suggestions with him.

In case you would like to post a picture here you can attach it with the upload feature available.
the picture would give me a better idea of your condition.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Kruti 19 hours later
I sent you a couple of pictures.
Answered by Dr. Kruti 15 hours later

Thanks for your reply.

I checked out the pictures and it does seem to be a bit difficult to diagnose.
It seems to be a condition called prurigo mitis. The other possibility is acrokeratosis veruciformis on the hands.

I would recommend that you visit a dermatologist and ask him to do a skin biopsy.

That is necessary in difficult to diagnose cases.

The skin biopsy will confirm the diagnosis.

You can try elidel cream on it. You will need a prescription for it.

Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Drug/Medication ,   ,  
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests

Recent questions on  Biopsy

doctor1 MD

my husband recently developed muscle weakness, dizziness, and slight tremors. He has had a litney of blood tests, emg and is scheduled for a muscle biopsy. so far all results have been normal except for emg and ebv. he also has elevated ck levels. what could this indicate?

doctor1 MD

Diagnosed with gastritis 5 months ago, had three benign biopsies during endoscopy, was told to stay on Prilosec 20mg. Stopped daily caffeine diet soft drinks (24-32 oz a day at that time) and changed diet. Have no stomach discomfort but still had mild heartburn when I tried to stop Prilosec for a couple weeks. Do I stay on Prilosec forever? Concerned about long-term effect.

doctor1 MD

I was just diagnosed w Lichen Planus. I had 4 spots down my inner and back of one leg, a biopsy was done to confirm this diagnosis, however my spots look nothing like the ones I see pictured when I look this up. they do not itch, only worried bc of slight change in them so was thinking skiing cancer that is y I went to the doctors. Now I had a couple spots on the pubic area ( over the public bone) they have healed but it is numb where they were?? is this connected to this disease or something else. my doctor is on vacation til next week. can this wait or should I go to the ER?

doctor1 MD

Hi, my mother has hiatus hernia of 2 cm length present. Ircumferential ulcer present in the hiatus. She has normal funds , body and Antrum . Normal duodenal bulb and II part. Doctor has sent the sample for biopsy. Suspect 1. Cameron s ulcer ? 2 carcinoma GE junction ?? Please advise

doctor1 MD

Hi there I’m a 42 yo healthy male with mild psoriasis and psuedogout. Recent routine blood tests were normal. Three weeks ago whilst I had a mild sore throat and cold, I discovered a raised lymph node on my right side of neck 2 inches down from...

doctor1 MD

Hi I have been diagnosed with prostate cancer from a biopsy . They think it is confined to prostate. GS 3+4. 19/12 probes positive. 15% of tissue cancerous. 1) do you recommend radiation or surgery 2) for surgery do you recommend open, laproscopic...

doctor1 MD

My father is 70 years old and has been detected with out of bound reports for some of the Tests related to Kidney . Attached are prescriptions and reports. I need your guidance on how to proceed further. Here are some artifacts: 1. He underwent...