Have itchy rashes which appear all of a sudden and then disappear. What could it be?

Dr. Jasvinder Singh

Posted on Thu, 2 May 2013 in Skin Rash
Question: I have the same symptoms as the other girls itchy with bumps and in the evening big welpts show up and then go away.however I have neck and back damage also, I vibrate on the inside doesn't show on the outside,its like a earthquake
my rash started on the right side of the body,I ignored it then it went to my leg then back to my right arm ,I ve been to a dermatologist on meds some of it is clearing up but it is moving in sequence on each side of my body, the waist line area, under the armpits,each of the sides of my waistline
I kinda think it could be the start of a nervous break done kinda
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query. One possibility for such itchy rashes which appear all of a sudden and then disappear after 20-30 min after itching is hives or urticaria. Hives have a tendency to change size rapidly and to move around, disappearing in one place and reappearing in same or other places after some time. They are mostly in response to allergens in the environment but can also occur to hot and cold conditions.

The standard treatment of hives is oral antihistaminics and topical steroids. Oral antihistaminics relieve itching and you can get them over the counter but some of them may cause drowsiness and hence should be taken under a medical guidance. Topical steroids is available by prescription from a dermatologist.
In addition you can apply calamine lotion which will help in soothing the skin and take some vitamin C which is a general anti-allergy supplement. It helps stabilize mast cells so they are less likely to release histamine. You can also take a diet XXXXXXX in vitamin C like citrus fruits, oranges, papaya, grapefruit, raspberries, blueberries, cranberries, and pineapple.

The vibration sensation is due to nerve compression due to your spinal issues. You have to get a NCV( nerve conduction velocity) test done to assess the damage to the nerves. Till that time take some vitamin B12 which is helpful in nerve injuries. If symptoms persist then you have to get your blood sugar levels also checked as it can be due to peripheral neuropathy.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow up: Dr. Jasvinder Singh 21 hours later
Thank you I guess there is hope will take to my docter, I haven't given him a chance

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 25 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

The most likely triggers for acute urticaria (hives) are allergies, allergies to medicines,Viral infections, , dental and sinus infections, fungal infections, blood transfusions and vaccines. But sometimes hives may be idiopathic.

It is treatable and you should consult your doctor and get the medicines prescribed.