Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
191 Doctors are Online

Have itchy rashes on penis shaft. Should I be worried for STD?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10442 Questions
Have you received the picture ( s) associated with my query? the bumps have begun to look a bit red..i suspect the area has become irritated.
Posted Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
There are no images attached to the query.
A good close up picture will be very much appreciated. You may attach a pic using the "upload your reports" feature on the query page-right hand side.
Do mention your symptoms and a brief history regarding the problem so that I can help you better.
Waiting for your reply.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have itchy rashes on penis shaft. Should I be worried for STD? 31 minutes later
I've had a rash on the shaft of my penis for almost 2 months...small white pimples..they didn't itch in the beginning but i burst one maybe 2weeks ago and since then the area has been itchy and flaky.. i have looked all over for information on what this could be..i don't have any of the common symptoms associated with an sti/ STD.the base of the pimples look a bit reddish however the tips are still white..i hope its visible from the pic i have uploaded again like you suggested.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 20 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
I have seen the picture attached.
The bumps that you have mentioned are suggestive of contact dermatitis, a itchy rash caused by things your skin touches. Emollients or moisturizers help keep the skin moist, and also help skin repair itself. They protect the skin from becoming inflamed again. They are a key part of preventing and treating contact dermatitis.

Corticosteroid skin creams or ointments may reduce inflammation. You can get one over the counter and can apply it twice daily for two weeks.

I advice you to follow this above mentioned measures still if it persists or if it spreads consult the dermatologist for examination and also to find out the cause.

Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have itchy rashes on penis shaft. Should I be worried for STD? 5 minutes later
Is there any chance that it could be an STI or STD? am wondering if its dermatitis why is it just that specific area? it hasn't spread to anywhere else,no other area of my body has experienced any irritation so these symptoms are localised to just that area which causes me to be concerned.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 23 hours later
Dermatitis can be localized also. The bumps that you have do not seem to be related to an STD. However a direct examination of the area will help in confirmation.
You can wait for a week for it to subside spontaneously and in case it persists, consult a dermatologist.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor