Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
126 Doctors are Online

Have itchy rash on neck, chest and face. Itchiness in scalp, hairline and behind ears. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 15014 Questions
Hi, I woke up this morning feeling really quite itchy, I have take a bath abd the itching is less (I am wheezing a little now)
I appear to have a rash, the photos show it on my neck and chest.
The rash is also a bit on my face, my eyes have also been effected and itchy thus they are now red and sore. I also have itching on my scalp, hair line, behind ears and on sode of face.

The areas are also sore and have a burning sensation.

I'm not on any new medication. I did drink a bottle of red wine last night but red wine has never effected me this way before.

I have a Cat, as a rule I do have a general cat allergy, but I have had my cat for almost three years (approx) and never reacted this way before.

Please let me know asap as I am quite concerned.

Thank you.

Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Definitely an allergic reaction

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It definitely appears to be an allergic reaction.The burning is part of the reaction and would also be related to scratching the skin.

In addition to considering possible aggravating foods, it may be related to anything that may have come into contact with the upper aspect of your body since it seems to be confined to that area.

This would mean any creams ,lotions, soaps,detergents, any environmental agents or allergen.

You need to take an anti histamine, the first generation anti histamines are stronger, these are the drowsy ones.
Example would be benadryl.This is taken as 25 to 50 mg every 4 to 6 hours.

In addition the application of a topical steroid cream would also help to reduce the inflammation.
Examples are hydrocortisone, fluticasone, elocon

You may want to consider allergy testing to determine the cause.

Allergy testing can be in the form of a blood test or skin prick testing. The blood test can be taken by your doctor and sent to a lab.
The skin prick test is done either by a dermatologist or allergist.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have itchy rash on neck, chest and face. Itchiness in scalp, hairline and behind ears. Suggest? 4 minutes later
Thank you for such a detailed response.
I was also wondering if this could be hives?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes, it is possible

Detailed Answer:

Yes , hives are formed due to an allergic response.
They are usually intensely itchy like you are describing and may have the burning or stinging sensation.

please feel free to ask anything else
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor