Have itchy raised lump at the back of skull. What could this be?

Dr. Kulbir Singh

Posted on Thu, 10 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have a raised lump about the size of a quarter on the back right side of my skull. Initially, it was extremely itchy. Still is but comes and goes... just noticed it 5 days ago. What is this?
The whole back side of my skull/scalp is very itchy with a small raised lump (size of a quarter) on the right side of back of my skull (at the base of the skull / the bottom of the scalp). What might this be? applying heat to the area with some comfort.
The lump seems to be stationary and itches... as well as my entire lower back scalp (both sides - right side more so) any ideas??
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 3 hours later
Hello and thanks for posting the query
I have read your query with diligence. The conditions which cause lump at the back of skull are:
1. Cyst: There are also cysts that occur often on the scalp called sebaceous cysts. They can get inflamed and tender, but tend to grow slowly and are usually not super-sore. They are full of fats and other cells from the skin and if they get too large or they get infected they can be drained.
2. Neurofibroma: It is a collection of the tissue resulting is a hard mass but they are painful.
3. Infection: As you are complaining of itching there are more chances that this is due to an infection. The infection may be bacterial or fungal. A proper antibacterial or anti-fungal cream should be applied to get rid from it.
4. There could also be lesions that could be or become cancerous, so if you have a lump on your head and you haven't hit your head lately, keep an eye on it and get it looked at if it gets bigger or seems very tender, hot, and swollen, or if it grows quickly
5. Sometimes a blood vessel can be broken with trauma and cause a leak or hematoma under the skin can cause this type of lump.

In my opinion as you have the only symptoms of itching, you need not to worry and the lump will resolve in few weeks. Apply antiseptic cream at the site and keep the part dry. If it does not respond than a FNAC test will help you to get to a diagnosis and accordingly decision can be made for the removal of the lump. Visit your surgeon for that

Write back for any follow up query. Always happy to help you.
Best Wishes
Dr. Kulbir Singh