Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online

Have itchy raised lump at the back of skull. What could this be?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 726 Questions
I have a raised lump about the size of a quarter on the back right side of my skull. Initially, it was extremely itchy. Still is but comes and goes... just noticed it 5 days ago. What is this?
The whole back side of my skull/scalp is very itchy with a small raised lump (size of a quarter) on the right side of back of my skull (at the base of the skull / the bottom of the scalp). What might this be? applying heat to the area with some comfort.
The lump seems to be stationary and itches... as well as my entire lower back scalp (both sides - right side more so) any ideas??
Posted Thu, 10 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 3 hours later
Hello and thanks for posting the query
I have read your query with diligence. The conditions which cause lump at the back of skull are:
1. Cyst: There are also cysts that occur often on the scalp called sebaceous cysts. They can get inflamed and tender, but tend to grow slowly and are usually not super-sore. They are full of fats and other cells from the skin and if they get too large or they get infected they can be drained.
2. Neurofibroma: It is a collection of the tissue resulting is a hard mass but they are painful.
3. Infection: As you are complaining of itching there are more chances that this is due to an infection. The infection may be bacterial or fungal. A proper antibacterial or anti-fungal cream should be applied to get rid from it.
4. There could also be lesions that could be or become cancerous, so if you have a lump on your head and you haven't hit your head lately, keep an eye on it and get it looked at if it gets bigger or seems very tender, hot, and swollen, or if it grows quickly
5. Sometimes a blood vessel can be broken with trauma and cause a leak or hematoma under the skin can cause this type of lump.

In my opinion as you have the only symptoms of itching, you need not to worry and the lump will resolve in few weeks. Apply antiseptic cream at the site and keep the part dry. If it does not respond than a FNAC test will help you to get to a diagnosis and accordingly decision can be made for the removal of the lump. Visit your surgeon for that

Write back for any follow up query. Always happy to help you.
Best Wishes
Dr. Kulbir Singh
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor