Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online

Have itchy patches on groin area. Tested negative for STI. What could this be?

Jan 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1658 Questions
I have a patch of itchy skin where my scrotal sack meets my pubic area (sort of in the crease) that is discolored (either lighter than my usual tone or red) it itches 50% of the time very badly. Had an STI screening recently that was clean and have been careful and would love to know what this is
Posted Tue, 1 Jan 2013 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 23 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.
Svere itching in pubic region along with skin discoloration may be due to fungal infection which is called as "Tinea cruris".
This infection is very common in males and spread by contaminated hands.
Although you have history of scalp psoriasis but possibility appears to be negligible.
You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ Dermatologist and should go for thorough check up.
You should go for KOH mount preparation for detection of fungal hyphae.
You should also take anti-fungal medicines under strict guideance of your treating doctor.
You should avoid soap application at infected site.
Avoid tight and rough clothes.
Wear soft cloth undergarments.
You should also apply anti-fungal powder at infected site.
Hope for speedy recovery.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor