Have itchy ear and tiny flesh colored bumps on the back of tongue. What is the disease?

Dr. Ravinder Sharma

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 25 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi, I have a question. I a 23 year old female. I have these tiny flesh colored bumps on the back of my tongue on the left side where my tongue connect there and then going down the left side of my throat well as far as I can feel without gagging myself. I have been having problems with my left ear as well it's very itchy and my right one is too at times but not nearly as much as the left ear. The left ear also gets pain shooting through it at times too. The bumps in the back aren't painful they are just annoying because I can feel them when my tongue moves around. Sometimes when I swallow its like I swallowed something and it's almost like mucus feeling but I can't cough it up and it doesn't go down either. I've had a huge problem with acne lately which is kinda rare but it takes my face forever to clear up. And when it does I get more again. I've also been having pains in my stomach and lower stomach region I'm not pregnant I have the mirena birthcontrol I'm going on my 5th year with it. My main concern is my throat tongue and ear right now.
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 4 hours later
Hi
I am Dr Ravinder Sharma ENT surgeon. On the basis of the information provided it appears that you have one of the following condition
1. Lingual tonsils - These are lymphoid follicles at the back of the tongue. At times of infection they may present as a lump in throat , foreign body sensation in throat and pain in ear (as the nerve supply of back of tongue and ear share common innervation. This is called as referred otalgia). If it gets infected it may present with difficulty in swallowing, pain in ear and pain in throat.
2. Vallecular cyst - This is a cystic swelling at the back of tongue and presents with foreign body sensation in throat. At times of infection one may have pain in throat too.
3. Peritonsillitis - The picture provided with the query supports this diagnosis as there is redness on the anterior pillar of tonsil. This refers to the infection of the tonsil spreading around the tissue in tonsillar fossa. This may present with pain in throat, pain in ear, difficulty in swallowing and difficulty in opening mouth (in later stages).

I would suggest you to consult a Otolaryngologist so that pharyngoscopy can be done for the diagnosis. This is a treatable condition and you do not need to worry about it. I hope this answers your concern. Feel free to contact me if you have any more concerns about it

with regards
Ravinder Sharma
Follow up: Dr. Ravinder Sharma 2 hours later
Are you sure it's not cancer? Because I am scared to death it is be is because I smoked for well I was 17 when I started I stopped when I was pregnant and then I started again when he was like 6 months old and I have smoked ever since then and I just quit smoking alot I have like 1 cigarette every 15 hours or more. 6 months after him and I drink everynow and then but I get smashed when I do be don't drink a lot.
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 57 minutes later
Hi
Thanks for the follow up query
I have suggested the commomer diagnosis on the basis of the history provided.
The history of smoking definately adds to the possibility of cancer as one of the diagnosis. For this reason I would advise you to plan a Otolaryngology consultation and pharyngoscopy and laryngoscopy.
Alcohol also adds to the risk of oral, pharyngeal , laryngeal or oesophageal malignancy.
Alcohol and smoking in addition increases the risk further

I hope this answers your concern. Feel free to contact me if you need more information about it
with regards
Ravinder Sharma