Have itchy anus and labia. Tested borderline positive for herpes. What are the risks?

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 29 Dec 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Hi I tested borderline positive for herpes with a 0.09...am I contagious as of now? 2 months ago I experienced dryness itching and red spots by the opening of my anus as well as inside my labia and i only experienced pain when urine passed over the spots. My gyno sent me fora host of STD testing to which I am positive for herpes 1 and borderline positive for 2. As of now and at the time of testing I have a pea sized firm lump close to the sidebof my right leg on my labia...or inside I should say because its under the skin inside the tissue. I have had unprotected sex but what I need to know is with such unsure results could I still have passed herpes 2 on and if I am experiencing symptoms to do with herpes at presnt how come my results aren't more positive
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

If semi-quantitative ELISA shows serum levels of IgM and/or IgG antibodies of herpes simplex virus-2 as less than 0.89IV, it indicates no significant levels of detectable antibodies.
Reference: WWW.WWWW.WW This low positive index values can be actually false positives.
But as you had history of vaginal infection previously and enlarged lymph node at present, better to go for HSV-2 IgG inhibition assay. Which can distinguish the false-positive results from true-positive results.
If the result comes as false positive the possibility of transmission is very low.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow up: Dr. Sree Gouri SR 12 minutes later
The test I took where I got a .90 is the herpes II igg test so what is that false positive or what? What is false positive anyway clearly? Can I transmitted at this range though? So its a lymph node I have? By the infection and the lymph node can you say I most likely have herpes then
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 12 hours later
If the value is 0.9, that indicates 'questionable presence of antibodies'. Means the possibility of the infection cannot be confirmed and also cannot be excluded.
And the lab people will recommend repeat testing in 10 to 14 days.
So now the possibility of transmission cannot be excluded.
According to your description it is appearing as lymph nodal swelling.
As you previously told the value was 0.09, I mentioned about false positive. But now it will not applicable to your value'0.9'.
According to your clinical symptoms and lab value there is possibility of herpes. For confirmation better to go for repeat testing.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.