Owl Image

Have itching and split skin of athlete's foot in toe. What should be done?

Psychiatrist
Question
Very bad itching in leg between fingers and toes sort of Pale, flaky & split skin of athlete's foot in a toe
Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 2 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

I have seen your pictures. It appears that you are suffering from a condition called Intertrigo. This is a kind of skin condition which occurs in the flolds and skin creases and can be itchy, flaky, foul-smelling and sometimes with redness or cracking of the skin. It is often accompanied by a fungal infection.

I would advise you the following remedial measures:

- Wash the affected areas three to four times daily with diluted potassium permanganate solution (potassium permanganate crystals or solution should be available with your local chemist)

- After washing and patting dry with a clean cloth, apply a thin layer of an anti-fungal cum anti-inflamatory cream like Candid B, twice a day over the affected areas.

- Keep the affected areas always clean, dry and sweat-free.

- Avoid wearing tight shoes or socks for long periods of time.

- Avoid using any strongly perfumed soap or shower gels.

If these remedial measures are followed, your problem should most likely settle down gradually within a week to 10 days. In case it doesn't, then you have to see a dermatologist for a detailed evaluation and further treatment.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar