Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

Have itching and split skin of athlete's foot in toe. What should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 2190 Questions
Very bad itching in leg between fingers and toes sort of Pale, flaky & split skin of athlete's foot in a toe
Posted Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 2 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

I have seen your pictures. It appears that you are suffering from a condition called Intertrigo. This is a kind of skin condition which occurs in the flolds and skin creases and can be itchy, flaky, foul-smelling and sometimes with redness or cracking of the skin. It is often accompanied by a fungal infection.

I would advise you the following remedial measures:

- Wash the affected areas three to four times daily with diluted potassium permanganate solution (potassium permanganate crystals or solution should be available with your local chemist)

- After washing and patting dry with a clean cloth, apply a thin layer of an anti-fungal cum anti-inflamatory cream like Candid B, twice a day over the affected areas.

- Keep the affected areas always clean, dry and sweat-free.

- Avoid wearing tight shoes or socks for long periods of time.

- Avoid using any strongly perfumed soap or shower gels.

If these remedial measures are followed, your problem should most likely settle down gradually within a week to 10 days. In case it doesn't, then you have to see a dermatologist for a detailed evaluation and further treatment.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor