Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Have irregular period problem. Started brown discharge and pain in heart. What's going on?

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4047 Questions
Hi I have irregular periods but been having some brown discharge and been having pains in my heart,had a urine pregnancy test but negative.
Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. S Patra 36 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve your problem as per your concern.

Brown period discharge with irregular period commonly occurs due to hormonal imbalance, effect of using OCP or old blood/ endometrial tissue along with co-existence of some other conditions like stress/ anxiety, ovarian cyst, thyroid disorder, irregular diet habit, psychological factor etc.

But first of all, we need to rule out implantation bleeding which occurs in early weeks of pregnancy. Here, you should undergo one blood test for beta HCG & Trans Vaginal Sonography (TVS scan) to exclude product of conception if any. Early urine pregnancy test may give negative result.

Possibility of STD or vaginal infection is also to be ruled out in this context by complete STD profile & one vaginal swab test.

For irregular period, you need to undergo several investigations like thyroid profile, one ultrasound scan, complete hormone assay, blood sugar & prolactin level etc.

Complete treatment depends on pin point diagnosis of underlying causative factor. Therefore, I suggest you to consult with gynecologist at the earliest regarding this for physical examination including pelvic/ speculum exam (may be needed) and take suggestive measures according to test reports.

Pain around heart region or chest pain may be associated with hyper acidity problem or muscle spasm. If pain is persistent and radiate to the left hand or back of shoulder, you need to consult with cardiologist at the earliest for suggestive measures or medication.

Do the following things that can help you:

1) Take healthy diet and drink lots of water, eat fresh fruits/ vegetables.
2) Try to avoid salty/ spicy/ fatty food and take iron supplements with diet.
3) Avoid stress/ anxiety/ emotional upset by yoga/deep breathing regularly.
4) Maintain genital hygiene properly including proper washing.
5) Take a sound sleep with complete relaxation.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health in future.

Dr Soumen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor