Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

147 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Have irregular heartbeat. Is ECG the best option to check it?

Answered by
Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol

Cardiologist, Interventional

Practicing since :1998

Answered : 424 Questions

Posted on Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Question: I want to know whether my problem is serious or not according to the report that i have uploaded
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 28 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. I have seen the report attached.

Apart from the heart rate being on higher side everything looks fine. The second line regarding LAE should be considered an artifact as I don't see it on the ECG. That's about the enclosed ECG report.
But be informed that except in heart attacks and continuous arrhythmia, an ECG is not a great diagnostic tool.

If you have any significant symptoms you may be needing some other investigations and please discuss with your physician or write back to me.

To sum it up, your ECG does show some changes which don't seem to suggest any abnormality but however depending on WHY ECG was ordered, you may need further evaluation.

Do write back for further discussion on this.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 10 hours later
Hello sir,

My doctor suggested me to take the following tests
2)Blood Test Hemoglobin

I have attached the x XXXXXXX report and hemoglobin count is 14.1%
Please give me further advice

Sorry i forgot to mention that i have breathing trouble and feeling of heart rate being slowed down seldom.
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 13 hours later

Thanks for the revert.

Both the attached reports are normal. You will benefit with just some good physical exercise and stress reduction activities. Some yoga and pranayama should help. I don't see a need for medications at this stage.

Hope this helps you.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 12 days later
Actually it happened the other night(3/1/2013) while i was masturbating for more than a hour and i usually masturbate for that long, But this time right after ejaculating i felt like my heart is being slowed down and i was having hard time sleeping due to the fear that my heart is going to stop and i slept only for 3 hours that day.Next morning i went to a doctor and she suggested me to take an ECG(attached) and said everything is normal but i had breathing trouble and discomfort in chest at that time.Then i went to a cardiologist explained my problem he also said that your heart is fine and suggested me to take hemoglobin test and chest X ray(attached).After seeing my reports he said "I guarantee that your heart is fine".So i thought my heart rate is varying and by the time i visit a doctor my heart rate is normal and after that it is becoming slow and i went to another doctor she also said it is normal.But still I am not convinced that it is normal.So i stopped masturbating since that night thinking this should be the cause for my problem.
I bought pulse oximeter to check my heart rate when i feel like my heart is becoming slow and it showed 62-65 bpm and SpO2 is 98.After a week my breathing trouble seems to be getting better but my resting heart rate is always above 85 and sometimes even going 102. So now I suspect that i may have sinus tachycardia.Please help me get rid of this
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 20 hours later
I went through the details with diligence. Everything looks fine. It should most likely be your anxiety that is causing the symptoms.

If all this information and evaluation is not helping you, you should be probably consider getting help from professional counselling. A psychiatrist or a counsellor can help you with this level of anxiety, as it has been affecting your overall health. I see no reason for you to be thinking any more about your heart.

Best regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  
Lab Tests
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Sinus tachycardia

doctor1 MD

I am a 23 year old female, studying medicine. For past 8 months, i have been having some episodes of heart 'dysfunctions' that now have turned constant. I need help in knowing what is the condition.
It started last may when one day i started feeling so weak that i just could not get up and was having a splitting headache, when i measured my BP was 90/55mmHg ( before it was always 120/80mmHg). I was having palpitations, bradycardia at times, tachycardia at times, extreme weakness, sweating ( especially on scalp) after sleeping after headache. I was also having light sleep.
Slowly, these episodes became constant. Now I am feeling weak all times, light headed if sitting or standing for long, headache (thumping with constant heaviness), inability to sleep, tightness in chest, chest pain sometimes, tachycardia at any normal activity (walking, doing some tidy up), BP is still low. I also get dry cough on breathing sometimes.
So i got a holter done for 24 hours, got following:
- sinus tachycardia( 110- 120) almost all day with some normal rate in between, my heart rate dropped to 50 in middle of night ( reason causing me to wake up from sleep and not to sleep again) and it remained like that for 3 hours
- average pulse -81
- my heart rate jumped to 179 per min when i climbed stairs ( 9 floors, easily climbed by others), breathing became laboured, headache with blacking out sensations ( i did not faint though)
- I have some abnormalities in lead I, II and III ( looks like left axis deviation as lead I is showing highest peaks and is moving away from III ) even the avL and avF looks weird, QTc>450ms is 47%, no ST deviation, no T wave abnormalities
I also have tachypnea (26-28 per min) and accentuation of Pulmonary part of second heart sound. I also have slight edema on my feet ( bluish tinge)
I also did a blood work up, I do not have thyroid problems or anemia
I need some advice on what i might be having, so as to proceed further on treatment.

doctor1 MD

I am 23 and I have Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia. I have been on beta blockers for 4 years and have gotten quite use to my fast heart. However, over the past month when I move from a resting position, or walk my body gets very tingly and I get weak/lightheaded. I am waiting to get an apt with my cardiologist but it seems he is completely booked. Please let me know any ideas you might have about this.

doctor1 MD

Had ecg today. Results include the following indications. For each, implications, and how serious ? My primary care pysichian said no problem. Nothing to worry about> 1. sinus tachycardia. 2. slight intraventricular conduction delay 3. slight inferior repolarization dissturbance, consider ischemia, LV overload or aspecific change. 4. small negative T in aVF with negative T in II III. Otherwise healthy female 62.

doctor1 MD

Hi. I had sinus tachycardia a year ago. They found nothing in an EKG. Then I experienced very strong skipped beats. They put me through a stress test, echo, long term EKG and found nothing but prescribed beta blockers. For the past couple of months, during the evening sometimes, I feel dizzy (lightly) and a bit light headed. The skipped beats become frequent if I drink alcohol, even a little beer. Last night I dreamed that my heart was racing really really fast and in my dream itself I thought I was getting atrial fibrillation, then I woke up. What could be happening?

doctor1 MD

Hello, During an ER visit for high heart rate after using kratom (which is known now to block some potassium channels in the heart thereby prolonging the QT interval) - the EKG showed a QT of 330 and QTc of 460, heart rate at 120. 30 minutes...

doctor1 MD

I uploaded an ekg I had today. I ve been having intermittent burning and aching in my arms. Mostly left but sometimes right. Also intermittent burning in my chest that radiates up my neck. Sometimes I just feel really worn out. The other day I had...

doctor1 MD

my age is 55 male. my bp is 140/ weight is 92. my height is 5.6. i have done a ecg sinus tachycardia suspect lefr anterior hemi block and this a case of pace maker or what to do.Please give me your valuable suggestion.