Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Have iron deficiency. Discovered 1.7cm polyp on thyroid. Family history with thyroid. Guide?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2272 Questions
I am wondering what the recommended Hgb # is for transfusing 45yo f relatively healthy with, of course, polyp on thyroid on ER examination and CT of neck after car wreck with injury. Have seen ENT and was relieved to be informed this is not significant even with a family history of mother with some thyroid anomoly, thyroidectomy, but died at age 40 from aneurism when I was 14 so her PMH was unclear.
Posted Thu, 25 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 37 minutes later
Welcome to Healthcare Magic.
The cause of anemia should be detected wherever feasible.
The threshold for blood transfusion is classical 7.0gm/dl, and 9gm when there is history of cardiac problems.
Thyroid mass can be inconsequential and may not need any treatment if asymptomatic.
Iron supplement is recommended in form of Ferrous fumarate 100mg thrice a day.
I hope the advise will be helpful for you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor