Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
129 Doctors are Online

Have interstitial cystitis. Suffering from pain and frequent urination. Suggestions?

Jul 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1971
Answered : 9620 Questions
This morning, I asked the following question to Dr. Patel: I have interstitial cystitis, a condition related to the lining of the bladder and I wanted to know if I could take antihistamines since I take sleeping pills and I have a thyroid problem.(under) Dr. XXXXXXX indicatd that it was ok to do so. This is a follow up to my question to Dr. Patel: 1. What medications are good for frequency and urgency? 2. I live in Florida (Cape Coral) and I have not found a good doctor that can help me. Could you recommend a good doctor? 3. My condition is fine during the day, however my nights are terrible with frequency/ urgency and pain. Thank you for your time
Posted Sat, 8 Jun 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 6 hours later
Thanks for follow up.I would like to answer your question point to point
1) The medication for frequency depends upon the underlying pathology .In your case frequency of micturition is due to nocturnal reduced capacity of bladder and may be secondary to sleep apnea.
This can be reduced by restricting your fluid intake after evening and avoiding taking coffee and beverages which have diuretic effect.
Elevate your legs while sleeping This helps to reduce fluid accumulation and thereby to reduce urine production..
Urgency and frequency can be controlled by anti cholinergic drugs like Darifenacin or Solifenacin under guidance of a qualified Urologist.

2)I do not have personal contacts with any Urologist in Florida.So unable to recommend any one.

3) Your problem seems to me to be due to sleep apnea which is common at this age.Getting a good sound sleep will help you to resolve your problem to some extent.If you have any breathing problems during sleep please consult qualified Pulmonologist .or chest Physician.
Thanks and Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor