Have inflamed ulva and noticed sore red lines on roof of mouth. What is the disease?

Dr. Nsah Bernard

Posted on Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Dental Health
Question: My ulva (Ihope I spelled that right) at the back of my throat is extremely inflamed and has 2 bright red lines throught it from the roof of my mouth and it's very very sore. The rest of of my throat isn't really sore just the roof of my mouth.
My right tonsil is pitted and inflamed but not really sore. I don't have cough, or a fever, or stuffy nose. Just pain on the roof of my mouth.
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

From you description you seem to be having tonsillo-uvulitis (inflammation of the tonsils and uvula) which are generally due to an infection. The most frequent type of microorganism is viral; but for adults it is usually bacteria especially strep can accompany. You will need to be examined by your doctor to confirm the affection and provide you with appropriate treatment.

Your illness is not generally severe especially when handled with antibiotics and antiinflammatory medications. A throat swap might need to be done in order to determine the type of microorganism affecting your tonsils. You can use warm saline gargles / betadine gargles till you are able to contact your doctor.

Hope this helps.

Dr Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad